Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Adventures with Henna

I have been asked on a number of ocassions what I use to color my hair and who does it. The answers are, "Henna" and "Me".

I have tried various hennas available in shops around here but, while acceptable, none of them have really been awesome until this time. I recently bought some Yemani henna from Henna Sooq. I LOVE it! The first difference I noticed from the henna that I've gotten from shops around here was when I started mixing it up. The powder is so finely sifted! There were no sticks or twigs that needed to be pulled out or anything like that. I let the henna "cure" for a little over 12 hours in the kitchen, then this morning I put it on and left it for about three hours. The texture of the paste was amazing; smooth as silk and putting it on my hair was so easy! I didn't have to struggle to get it to spread evenly down the locks of hair. I would have left it on longer if it hadn't started to drip down the side of my neck. I suppose I should try wrapping my hair tightly in plastic wrap next time around instead of just putting a plastic bag over it.

So, this is the result after I rinsed out the henna. I did not use shampoo, only conditioner to help the stuff rinse out easier. It's still slightly damp in the picture. Since henna takes a day or two for the color to settle, I'll post another picture in a couple of days so that you can see what the difference is. What I LOVE about henna is how soft and shiny my hair is, unlike when I would use hair coloring kits. Even after the most expensive ones, my hair would feel like straw. The gray hair is covered perfectly, and I absolutely love how natural it looks. Everyone assumes I am Irish -- which while I do have some Irish blood in me, is still a great compliment.

If you're curious about the recipe I used for my paste, let me know and I'll be happy to share it.

No comments:

Post a Comment