Monday, June 6, 2011

There's a Bump in the Road

If you've been reading my blog lately, you know that I've been sick for awhile now. Well, the antibiotics didn't knock out whatever is plaguing me.  When I called the doctor's office to let them know what's going on, I got an off-handed, "Oh, well, you don't have strep." from the nurse. Seriously? OK, then, what do I have? When can I see the doctor? This lady obviously had not taken a telephone etiquette course and had no idea how to deal with a very ill, squeaky-voiced patient. "I have no one here that can see you this afternoon," she told me tersely.  Yes, I know, I spoke to the receptionist this morning. She told me that there was a single doctor in and only for the morning. Perhaps you can squeeze me in to see her this morning?  She didn't even pause to pretend to look for a spot for me before repeating, "I have no one here that can see you." 


Needless to say, I thanked her, biting back my sarcasm as I realized I was going to have to wait it out until Monday at the earliest.  Well, today is Monday, and I have my own suspicions as to what I have.  It's not pretty.  I had it as a teenager and it knocked me off my feet for over a month. *cue drumroll* Mononucleosis. 

I remember that afternoon back when I was a tender 17-year-old, as I was holding my head between my hands, perched on the doctor's table and he told me what I had.  I must have looked dumbfounded because he smiled, pat my knee reassuringly and kindly explained to me what "mono" is and that the virus stays dormant in your body for the rest of your life. Reminded me of that Eddie Murphy joke about herpes. "You carry that sh*t around for the rest of your life, like luggage." Great. 

Well, apparently, it's unpacked. And it's wrecking havoc with my newly acquired motivation and workout schedule.  I have barely been able to lift my own weight off a chair, let alone do a push up or attempt a pull up. I'm worried that everything I worked my butt off for during this past month is going to go down the drain.  Just thinking about pushing the PLAY button on the dvd player exhausts me. Am I sabotaging myself? Should I tough it out and try to workout anyway? Is is possible the earaches, sore throat, over-all fatigue and body aches are a manifestation of something in my own head? 

Stay tuned as I seek out the answers to these questions and more while I drive over this bump in the road.

3 comments:

  1. Hang in there! I totally think that you should rest and get better. Don't push yourself. You are not going to loose all that you have worked for, I mean, unless you are just laying there shoveling junk food in while yelling for Jeff to push the PLAY button for you...lol! You will be fine. Maybe your body is just telling you that you need a break, it's needs some rest. I really hope that you feel better soon, and try not to worry. When you are feeling better, just pick back up where you left off! Blessings to you, hun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember, muscle has memory. Don't worry about the workouts being missed. Work out in a more "yang within yin" way and kick that motherf*cker where it belongs...out of your body.
    My description of "yang within yin"...feel the fatigue, breathe in the fresh air, and exhale with vigor!
    I do hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Brother and some other people I know are doing P90x. They love it!! Good luck...and get better!

    ReplyDelete