Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Day 9, P90X - Still "Bringin' It!"

I have to be honest; as I watched the infomercial for P90X, I thought to myself, "There is no WAY I would ever be able to do this." Let's face it, first of all, I am no spring chicken. I mean, yeah, I celebrated my 21st birthday (yet AGAIN) back in October, but, these people are jumping all over the place, doing pull-ups (!!!), push-ups and all sorts of other torturous looking exercises. I have asthma, bad knees, a congenital deformity of my spine, and I'm FAT!! *insert eye roll here*

Well, despite all that, I had reached a decision and that was that while Oxycise! is a fantastic program, it wasn't working for me the way that it had many, many, many years ago. (Do not start trying to do the math. I just got done telling you; I'm 21.)  So, I shelved the O! dvds, I moped for awhile, I cried over the fat chick in the mirror,  and finally, after watching Tony Horton and his cohorts for about the 12th time, I told Jeff, "I want to do this."  

Not ones to jump into anything half-way, we decided to become Beachbody coaches. The first week was not nearly as hard as I thought it was going to be. Don't get me wrong: It was NOT easy!  But I didn't die. One of the best things is that Tony is SUCH a fantastic person to listen to. He motivates you without sounding corny.  He reminds you that, hey, if you can't do it as hard or as fast or as long as we are doing it, that's OK.  "Do your best and forget the rest!" Sounds canned, but you know what? It is exactly what I needed to hear and the occasional reminders of that simple phrase keep me from coming down too hard on myself. 

Last night was Day 9 - Plyometrics (or "Pyrometrics" if you are a sweet man who I hope to meet in the future).  Anyway, when we did it our first week, we were gassing out well ahead of the folks on the video.  We hadn't heeded the warning not to eat too close to the workout and both of us came close to hurling several times. Last night, however, it became clear just how much our bodies were already starting to get into shape. Neither of us felt the need to hurl.  We only paused the video twice (to check our heart rates) and while we didn't do the exercises as fast as they do them, we did them until the clock ran out.  Below is one of the pictures I had taken of me so that I can keep track of the transformation.  It's rather depressing to look at, but I already see changes happening! So, yeah, we're "Bringin' it!!" 

BEFORE (taken 4/30/2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment